Frequently Asked Questions

What is the cost of obtaining a Private Pilot's License (PPL)?

Overall, we usually quote about $10,000 for PPL which includes your extra materials like your headset, training books, etc. It has been done for cheaper than $10,000, and it has been done for far more. What makes the difference is how aggressively you study at home in preparation for your flights. If you come unprepared for the flight, you will be spending more on your instructor, and the airplane rental to get proficient. It is also important to fly consistently so to maintain proficiency on what you have learned. Think of an airplane rental as a ‘reverse ATM machine’. If you have to redo a flight because you haven’t flown in a month, or you have to relearn a concept that you could’ve brushed up on at home, you’ll be feeding more dollars into the machine for things you wouldn’t necessarily need to. It is best to fly weekly, if not more, and important to acknowledge that at home study is free. This will ensure you don’t spend more than you need to!

Do you have financing?

We do not offer financing through the club. However, there are a variety of financing services which we can work with. There are also some grants and scholarships which we can accept but they must be for Pt. 61 flight training regulations. Information about these financing options can be found online. We unfortunately cannot accept any G.I. Bill, or Pt. 141 scholarships.

How long does it take to get a license?

To receive a Private Pilot License (PPL), the FAA requires student pilots have a minimum of 40 hours of flight time, of which 20 must be dual (flying with an instructor). However, these are minimums. Realistically your training will take longer than this to obtain a PPL. The national average is 60 to 70 hours. About half of your flight time will be with an instructor, and the rest “solo.” For every flight hour, expect an additional 2-3 hours of reading, flight planning, and ground review with your instructor.

Obtaining your license will likely take six to eight months. To maintain a good rate of progress you should plan for two to three sessions per week, though it has been done for less. Plan to schedule a few more sessions than you need, since some will be cancelled because of weather, aircraft maintenance, illness, etc. At this rate, you should be able to earn your license in six to eight months.

What is the process of joining CCA?

We sign up new members in person. The best way to become a member, schedule a tour or intro flight would be to call our office at (614) 459-2541. Or email us to set up an initial meeting.  If we do not answer the phone, please be sure to leave a voicemail and we will get back to you, as we may be out flying, or out of the office. You are allotted three intro flights outside of membership, and we would be happy to show you around and let you see our aircraft. Just let us know how we can help!

Membership requires a onetime fee of $150. This fee covers the administrative cost of signing up new members and fleet insurance. There is also a monthly fee of $35 for recurring costs such as rent, office staff and more. All scheduling and maintenance logs are contained in our online MyFBO system. One is able to schedule available aircraft and flight instructors, as well as see maintenance information for the aircraft selected. You will be required to obtain the minimum coverage of non-owners renters insurance which will cover a $5000 deductible you would be responsible if something were to happen. This insurance is only required when you fly solo, or as Pilot in Command. Thus, you can wait to obtain this, and survey your options, as you will be covered when flying with a CCA approved flight instructor. This coverage should only run you about $100 for the year.

What do I need to bring in order to join?

There are a number of documents we need to have to complete your member file. On the front page of the website, you can find a link to our member application and pilot history forms. When you set up a meeting to join Capital City Aviation, you should bring these documents with you so we can complete your member file quickly. On the bottom of the pilot history form, you will find a photocopy checklist. This is a list of things we need (if applicable) to have on file. If you bring a copy of the following documents, we will be able to complete your member file and get you started flying:

  • Passport or birth certificate (to prove U.S. Citizenship for the TSA)
  • Pilot Certificate
  • Last completed logbook page
  • High performance endorsement
  • Driver’s License or Photo ID
  • Instructor Certificate
  • Flight Review
  • Complex Endorsement
  • Renters Insurance
  • Medical Certificate
  • IPC

Can I fly at Capital City Aviation if I am not a U.S. Citizen?

You can fly with Capital City Aviation if you are not a U.S. Citizen, but you must get TSA approval, and include us as your intended flight school you wish to fly with. More information about the process can be found here.  The TSA approval process can take a month or longer, so be proactive in beginning the process if you intend to fly with us.

What is a medical certificate and where do I get it?

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) defines a medical certificate as “acceptable evidence of physical fitness on a form prescribed by the Administrator.” Essentially, a medical is a certificate that certifies you are healthy enough to fly. One needs a medical certificate in order to fly as pilot in command. Medical Certificates are classified by first, second, and third class medicals. For the purposes of becoming a private pilot, a third class medical is sufficient and involves the least amount of scrutiny, Medicals can be obtained through an  Aviation Medical Examiner (AME).  You can find a listing of AME’s in your area at this link. More information about medical certification in general can be found here.

Can I take aircraft on trips?

We welcome our members to take our aircraft on trips. However, our members must abide to our minimum daily charges as laid out by our policy and procedures manual.

In the event the Member reserves an aircraft for 6.0 hours or more on any weekday, Member shall pay CCA for no less than 1.0 hour of usage, regardless of actual usage. If the Member reserves an aircraft for 6.0 hours or more on a weekend day or holiday, Member shall pay CCA for no less than 3.0 hours of usage, regardless of actual usage. In the event the Member flies less than the required minimum, Member will be billed for the remainder at the current hourly rate for the aircraft flown. Such charges may only be waived at the discretion of the aircraft owner.”

Our policy and procedures manual can be found here.

Are there insurance requirements?

Capital City Aviation has a policy for all aircraft and members. However, if a claim is made, members could be liable for a $5,000 deductible. Due to this, we require our members to obtain a non-owners hull damage insurance policy to cover this deductible. Most minimum coverage options from the various aviation insurance companies will cover this. The policy tends to cost about $100 a year.

Can I put my aircraft into the club?

We always welcome aircraft into the club, but it must fit within our fleet. If you would like to learn more about the benefits of putting an aircraft in the club, contact our Director and Chief Flight Instructor, Tom Baxter.